Virginia Urban Forest Council Scholarships
The Virginia Urban Forest Council (Trees Virginia) is a non-profit group whose mission is to enhance the quality of life through stewardship of our Commonwealth’s urban and community trees.
The Council’s Board of Directors, in cooperation with the Virginia Department of Forestry, works vigorously to enhance public awareness, increase professional competence, and bolster political engagement in urban forestry issues.
In support of these efforts, Trees Virginia has established a scholarship program in urban forestry for qualified students attending Virginia colleges.
Purpose: To enhance the ranks of future urban forestry professionals by providing financial assistance to students studying urban forestry and related curricula at Virginia colleges.
Funding: In 2017, three scholarships totaling $4,000 will be awarded to selected recipients. The scholarships will be distributed as follows:
- One $1500 scholarship for a graduate student enrolled at a Virginia four-year college
- One $1700 scholarship for an undergraduate student enrolled at a Virginia four-year college
- One $800 scholarship for an undergraduate student enrolled at a Virginia two-year or community college
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for the Virginia Urban Forest Council scholarships, individuals must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled full-time at a Virginia college
- Majoring in urban forestry or a related discipline (forestry, horticulture, environmental science, biology, landscape architecture, or geography.)
- Successfully completed one academic year of courses (graduate students are exempt from this requirement).
- Possess an overall GPA of 2.5 or greater
Selection Criteria: The scholarships are awarded to applicants who best demonstrate financial need, academic excellence, and a clear commitment to a career in urban forestry. Applications are reviewed by a selection committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the Virginia Urban Forest Council. The following criteria are considered during the selection process:
- Financial need
- Academic achievements
- Extracurricular activities
- Awards and recognitions
- Employment/Internship history
- Faculty recommendation letter
Applicants must complete EITHER the undergraduate or graduate electronic application form. All applicants must print the faculty recommendation form (.pdf or .doc) to be completed and signed by a faculty mentor and mailed to:
VUFC Student Scholarship
c/o Virginia Tech Urban Forestry
Cheatham Hall, Rm 228
310 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0324
Application Deadline: November 30, 2016. The application is complete when both the online application and faculty recommendation form have been received. Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award by January 31, 2017.
If you have any questions concerning the award application or eligibility requirements, please contact us at email@example.com.